Child Life Therapy
Assisting children, teenagers , parents and other family members with understanding and coping with health diagnosis and associated health care and procedures that may be causing ‘Fear’ or ‘Anxiety’.
Child Life Therapy aims to reduce the stress and anxiety that can be associated with hospitalisation, by focusing on developmental, social and emotional wellbeing.
Interactions with patients and their families are individualised, strength based and support family centered care.
Specific sessions can be play or education based focusing on useful information and coping skills which seek to correct misconceptions and have shown to reduce anxiety and distress and also positively impact future procedures.
- Education and understanding
- Preparation and wellbeing strategies for surgery, tests, medical procedures, interventions and diagnostic imaging scans
- Non pharmacological pain management
- Parenting strategies for the health journey
Paula has worked as a Child Life Therapist (CLT) for over 8 years. She has had an extensive career in Early Childhood Education (ECE) and has been a lecturer and guest presenter in subjects related to ECE and CLT.
Hopscotch is about “A Hop, Skip and a Jump” in taking steps to well being in healthcare, managing frightening health diagnosis and treatment, early childhood education, child development, parenting, educator in-services and seminar presentations.
Inspirational Guest Speaker - Conference and Professional Development Presentations and Education
Presentations and Education on topics including:
- Early Childhood Development and Education
- Unique ECE program ideas such as relaxation for children
- Behaviour Guidance Techniques & Parenting Skills
- Staff Self Care and Stress Relief
- Communication with Adolescents
- Child Life Therapy
Contact Hopscotch Consultancy or Phone Paula 0412 274 279
Early Childhood Specialist
Experienced with children and families from multi-cultural backgrounds and children and teenagers with special needs (disabled, delayed, autistic, health issues and diagnosis):
- Child Development
- Learning Difficulties
- Behaviour Management
- Parenting Techniques